Bike for Books
Bikes for Books: The Okemos Masonic Lodge is again hosting the Bikes For Books Program for the 2022-2023 school year elementary age students, grades 3-6 - throughout Okemos and Haslett.
Children participate in the program by reading grade/reading level- appropriate books. Every time they read a book they log it onto a Bikes for Books entry form. A new form may be completed & submitted for every seven books read. Parents endorse the forms. Completed forms can be returned to teachers and librarians and go into the drawing. In the spring, winners are drawn by school from the forms submitted. The more they read, the better their chances of earning a bike and safety helmet. Last year, seven elementary schools participated, and 31 bikes and helmets were awarded. This program has successfully established a love for reading early in life and put a gleam of excitement and happiness into kids’ eyes. That’s a pretty good thing to see.
This program continues to be very successful around the country, as well as locally through a continued partnership between the Okemos Masonic lodge and;
- Okemos & Haslett schools
- Okemos & Haslett Libraries
- Okemos Meijer
Guidelines for the Bikes for Books program:
- Okemos & Haslett students grades three, four, five, & six.
- Students must read seven books that are on/at their reading or grade level.
- Parents will sign the entry forms submitted by their child.
- For every seven books read, another entry application may be added to the contest.
- Completed, signed forms are returned to the student’s teacher or either the Okemos or Haslett Public libraries for pick-up by an Okemos Masonic representative.
- All students that meet the requirements and turn in a completed & signed form will be placed in a drawing for a bike and helmet. The drawing will be for one boy and one girl bike and helmet of the correct size for each grade level at each participating school.
- Program runs from November 14, 2022 through May 26, 2023 Drawing entry deadline is: 5:00 PM Friday May 26, 2023