Board of Education Vacancy
Dear Haslett Community,
Haslett Public Schools Trustee Greg Michaud has submitted his resignation, effective June 13, 2021, resulting in a vacancy on the Haslett Board of Education. An individual will be appointed to fill the vacancy through the election cycle of November 2022. The seat will be on the ballot in November 2022 to complete the remainder of the term through December 2024. The person appointed through this process may choose to run for this seat or not.
An applicant must be 18 years of age and a resident of the District registered to vote in District elections. Individuals seeking consideration for appointment to fill the vacancy are asked to submit a letter of interest. Letters should answer the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in serving on the school board?
2. What qualities, skills, and experience would you bring to the board?
3. What do you see as the roles and responsibilities of school board members?
Letters of interest are due by 4:00 pm on Friday, June 25, 2021. Applications can be hand delivered to the Administration Building (5593 Franklin Street, Haslett, MI 48840), mailed to Haslett Public Schools (c/o Michelle Gustafson at 5593 Franklin Street, Haslett, MI 48840), or emailed to Michelle Gustafson at email@example.com.
Letters of interest will be reviewed, and finalists will be invited to interview with the Haslett Public Schools Board of Education on Thursday, July 8, 2021. Invitations for interviews will be sent no later than Monday, July 5, 2021 to the identified finalists.
What Do Board Members Do? Generally, Board members have the responsibility to:
- Set goals and define strategies to guide the district toward its vision.
- Hire and evaluate a superintendent who will implement the board’s policies.
- Monitor and assess the district’s financial and student performance.
- Advocate for students and public schools.
- Attend two board meetings and at least one committee meeting a month. (Committee meetings and regular meeting frequency may increase to address emerging needs of the district.)
For additional information on Board service, see Eight Traits of an Effective School Board.
Should anyone have questions about Board service or the application process, please feel free to contact me at 517-648-0689 or Lemmerts@haslett.k12.mi.us. On behalf of the entire Board, I wish to thank Greg for his service as a Trustee.
President, Haslett Board of Education