Schools of Choice Frequently Asked Questions

  • I don’t live in Haslett School District. How can I enroll my child in the Haslett Public School District?

    State law governs the Schools of Choice process. School districts have the option of participating in Schools of Choice on an annual basis. Districts may advertise available slots and accept applications only at specific times. Haslett Public Schools has been a participating district in the Schools of Choice process since its inception. The Board of Education usually makes the decision about the district’s participation in Schools of Choice by mid-April. At that time, the number of slots and grade levels will be identified and published. Publication will be on our district website and in the Lansing State Journal on a Sunday in Mid-April.

    When is the application period?

    The application period is during the month of May for Fall enrollment. The application period will be announced each year after the Board of Education makes the decision regarding the district’s participation (usually by Mid-April).

    Where can I obtain an application?

    Applications will be available only during the application period. During the application period, applications will be made available on our website or may be picked up at our administrative office.

    If my child is accepted, will I need to reapply each year?

    Once a child is accepted under the Schools of Choice provisions, their enrollment is through graduation as long as enrollment is continuous. If a student withdraws and enrolls in another district, they will forfeit their slot and must reapply during the next application period.

    Are siblings guaranteed enrollment in future years?

    Siblings are not guaranteed enrollment in future years; however, they are given preference for available advertised slots over any other new applications provided the district participates in the Schools of Choice process in the year of application.

    How are applicants chosen to enroll in Haslett Public Schools?

    The application asks very basic information (name, grade, address, district of residence, whether there have been suspensions or expulsions). For grade levels where the number of applications received is less than the number of advertised slots, all applicants will be accepted (except as provided by law regarding suspensions or expulsions). For grade levels that more applications are received than advertised slots, the law requires that district accept students on a lottery basis (except as provided by law regarding suspensions or expulsions). Siblings of current Schools of Choice students receive preference to available slots over new applicants.

    When will I know if my child has been accepted to attend Haslett Public Schools?

    Parents will be notified by the first week in July following the application period.

    Are there any fees?

    There are no fees or tuition for enrollment under the Schools of Choice provisions.

    Who provides transportation?

    Transportation to and from our district will be the responsibility of the parent. Children must arrive on time to begin instructional activities at the start of the school day and must be picked up or have arranged childcare once the school day has ended.

    How do I know if I live within the Schools of Choice boundaries?

    School districts within Ingham County are within the Schools for Choice boundaries of Haslett Public Schools as well as districts located in intermediate school districts that are contiguous to Ingham Intermediate School District (Clinton, Eaton, Jackson, Livingston, Shiawassee, and Washtenaw).

    Can I choose an elementary school for my child?

    The Schools of Choice application allows parents to indicate their building preference. During the placement process, we strive to place students in one of their first choices. We also try our best to keep families together at the same school when placements are made, but there are times when this is not possible due to enrollment at some grade levels. Haslett Public Schools has three elementary schools that serve kindergarten through fifth grade. They are Wilkshire Early Childcare Center (K-1), Murphy, and Ralya Elementary (2-5).

    Are Special Education Services available for Schools of Choice students?

    If your application for enrollment is accepted, and the student is eligible for special education programs and services under the requirements of Section 105(c) (18) of the State School Aid Act of 1997, actual enrollment cannot occur until this district reaches a written agreement with the district in which you reside. This agreement is for the purpose of providing free appropriate public education to the student and must include an agreement between both districts related to responsibility for the payment of the added costs of special education programs and services for the student. If an agreement cannot be reached, enrollment is not allowed. Under Section 105(c), should a student become eligible for special education services, our district has an obligation to reach said agreement. If said agreement is not reached, your student may be asked to return to his or her resident district.

    For more information, please contact Connie Daiss at 517-339-8242 or