Haslett Public Schools is using Securly filtering to keep students safe on their school-issued Chromebook devices. As part of our commitment to your child’s safety, we’re giving you access to the free Securly Home app. As a parent, you can use this app to stay on top of your child’s online activity.
The Securly Home app will allow you to:
- Receive weekly email reports with a snapshot of your child’s Internet activity.
- Block specific categories like social media and gaming on your child’s school device when it’s at home.
- Receive flagged activities related to self-harm or bullying for your child.
- Set offline schedules for your child’s Internet like dinner and bedtime.
The Securly Home app is available from the App Store and Google Play. Please view the Securly Home for Parents video for a brief overview of the app.
Download the Securly Home App
- Download the app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and tap the white “Login” button to get started. You will be prompted to enter the email address that you have on file with the District.
- After entering your email address, click on the "Get instant access" button. A link will be sent to the email address.
- Click on the link that was sent to you and your account will be ready to go! You can create your password in the account tab.
Blocking YouTube at HomeYouTube has many educational videos and teachers use it regularly for instruction. Blocking YouTube will prevent your child from accessing these videos, completing homework, and learning. While teachers work with students about appropriate and responsible use of tools like YouTube, the District also encourages parents to help guide their children in the use of technology.If you choose to block YouTube using the Securly Home App, you will need to deny access to the following three sites:
- Plug the mobile hotspot into an electrical outlet.
- Press the power button on the top side of the hotspot.
- Wait for "Verizon" to display on the screen.
- Press "Wi-fi Name/Password" screen.
- The "Primary Network Name (SSID)" indicates the name of the network to which you should connect.
- The "Password" indicated is required to connect to the device.
If you are getting disconnected or are experiencing freezing, choppy and/or lagging video/audio during Zoom or Google Meet sessions, please try the suggestions below to improve performance.
- Reboot your Chromebook regularly (in between classes) and shut down completely when not in use.
- Close all browser tabs except for the active Zoom/Google Meet tab.
- Turn off extensions that you don't use by typing chrome://extensions in the address bar. Slide the blue button to the left to turn off an extension.
- Do not use background blur or virtual backgrounds.
- Try clearing the cache and updating the Chrome OS on the Chromebook.
- Move closer to your Internet router when using the Chromebook.
- Purchase a USB 3.0 to Ethernet Network Adapter (approx. $15) along with a Cat 6 Ethernet Cable (approx. $8) and plug the Chromebook directly into your Internet router (search for these on Amazon or other retail websites/stores).
Audio or Power Issues
To learn how to quickly adjust the speaker volume and/or microphone level, watch this 40-second Chromebook Audio Settings video.
If your Chromebook won't turn on, even when plugged into the charger, you may be able to fix it by performing a hard reset. This short video demonstrates how to perform a hard reset on your Chromebook.
- Lift the lid of your Chomebook and wait a few seconds for it to power on.
- The screen will indicate “Network not available.” Click on the name of your home wireless network listed on this screen.
- On the next screen, enter the wi-fi password (if applicable) and click “Connect.” (The name of your wireless network and the password is typically indicated on a label on your home wireless router).
- After connecting to the wireless network, login using your Haslett student Google account (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
IMPORTANT: You must use your Haslett Google account to login. No other accounts will work on your HPS-issued Chromebook.