Dear Haslett Families:
The purpose of this communication is to remind our parents how we make the decision to close school and how you will be notified of that decision. With the help of social media, notification has become easier and almost instantaneous.
- All school families will immediately receive phone and email notifications based on contact information available in our Skyward student information system. Parents and guardians may add additional phone numbers and email addresses by logging into their Family Access account.*
- The district website will post information as soon as the decision has been finalized.
- The district app will also push out notifications to subscribers.**
- Our district contacts local media stations as soon as we make the decision to close school.
If you typically drive your child to school, and the school appears not to be open, be sure to check the resources above before leaving your child at the door.
Below are the procedures we employ when weather conditions cause the district to consider closing school:
- Our Director of Facilities and Operations begins traveling the roads early in the morning to determine if conditions make it unsafe for our buses, parents, and students. He is also in communication with local law enforcement employees, the county road commission staff and neighboring district facility and transportation supervisors. This information is communicated directly to the Superintendent.
- Prior to making the decision to close schools, the Superintendent personally communicates with all 12 local county Superintendents, via social media, to assess what conditions exist in their districts.
- If outside temperatures or the wind chill are (at a minimum) 20 degrees or more below zero, school is automatically closed.
- Every district makes an independent decision to close school. Sometimes, other districts may be closed while we remain open, as road conditions vary depending on the rural or urban nature of each district.
- Final decisions to close school are generally made in the morning before 6:00AM.
We take this decision very seriously. As a parent, you may not always agree with our decision, however, we want you to know if you believe conditions are not safe, it is always your right to keep your child home.
Once again, we thank you for your continued support. Please do not hesitate to contact my office, as I welcome your comments.
Steven L. Cook
Superintendent of Schools
*To establish a Skyward Family Access account: go to www.haslett.k12.mi.us and click on “For Parents,” complete request form for “Family Access” and submit. Once your account is created, log in and click the Skylert link to setup your notification preferences.
**To subscribe to the HPS Mobile App: on your Smartphone, go to the App Store® or Google Play®, search Haslett Public Schools, then select our Haslett Public Schools app for free download.