The Haslett Elementary STEAM class, integrates science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics to guide student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. Our goal is to help students take thoughtful risks, engage in experiential learning, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work through the creative process. Students at Murphy and Ralya attend STEAM class for 60 minutes, once every 4 days.
STEM Standards of Practice
- Learn and Apply Rigorous Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Content
- Integrate Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Content
- Interpret and Communicate information from Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Engage in Inquiry
- Engage in Logical Reasoning
- Collaborate as a STEM team
- Apply Technology Strategically
Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics, information and computer technology, and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence 8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.