What is Spartan Caregiver Support? The COVID-19 outbreak has left thousands of caregivers in the State of Michigan without behavioral and social support for people with autism. Spartan Caregiver Support aims to address this urgent need by providing caregivers with free informational support via phone, video chat, or other electronic media.
How does Spartan Caregiver Support work?Caregivers of people with autism who reside in the State of Michigan can visit our Web site and sign up for our e-mail list. Every Thursday at 8:00pm EST, we will e-mail caregivers with instructions for how to sign up for a free 15 minute meeting (via phone or video chat) with a member of Spartan Caregiver Support the following week. We also anticipate scheduling “call in” times where caregivers may directly call us for informational support. As our resources expand, our e-mails and Web site will include additional caregiver resources that are vetted and based on best practices.
Spartan Caregiver Support can help in the following areas:
- Behavioral concerns, such as tantrums and meltdowns
- Communication difficulties, such as difficulty expressing wants and needs
- Daily schedules and routines, such as completing a list of chores and brushing one’s teeth
- Sleep concerns, if those concerns have a behavioral (and not a medical) cause
- Getting along with family members, such as siblings and cousins
- Following rules and expectations, such as following a caregiver’s instructions
Interested in learning more? Please see our Web site for additional information.