The Writing Process: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, publishing.
* Students will be learning and practicing a variety of writing styles and formats.
* It is okay to help your children brainstorm topics if they is having difficulty. However, make sure that your children are comfortable with the topic they decide on, and feel like it is something they can write about.
* Students should be able to do the first draft on their own. Let them write down their own thoughts and ideas.
* When it is time to revise, please take the time to constructively give ideas for a stronger piece of writing. At this stage in the writing process, students should be given a variety of types of feedback, and then decide on their own what changes to make.
* After revisions are made, it is time for editing. We practice editing often in class as it correlates with what we are reading and writing. It is important for students to be able to find many of the errors on their own. Have your children edit their paper first, then go through the paper with them.
* A final copy should be typed by students if possible, or else written neatly in ink. Feel free to help proofread and edit the final, but allow students to make any finishing touches.